Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Me Time

Nap time is not only important for babies and toddlers. Nap time is important for mommies!

It seems like our feet hit the ground running at 7am when we finally get out of bed in the morning (though we've all more than likely been up for 1 or 2 hours already). First it's diapers and nursing for both boys, then clothes. Next we distract Calvin with some toys while quickly shoveling oatmeal into Charlie's hungry tummy. Thank goodness Sesame Street comes on in the morning just after Charlie finishes breakfast. We quickly get ourselves ready while Charlie is occupied with his 'friends' Elmo, and Big Bird, and Cookie Monster, and Ernie. Finally Ray is out the door by 8:30 or 9, and I am stuffing as many random items as I can into the diaper bag for the day. By 9 Charlie, Calvin and I are out the door on our way to any number of our weekly events.

This mothering job is physical! Combined, Charlie and Calvin weigh 44 pounds and counting, and I often end up carrying them both at once. At any one time I have two or three different baby back-packs or slings in the car and at least one of our three strollers. With our huge diaper bag, and baby's in both arms we pop into appointments, hang out at play dates, nurse on the fly, and race around the market. If I'm lucky, I get a peaceful (hah!) walk in sometime during the morning. Lunch is between 11:30 and 12, and by 1 o'clock in the afternoon I lug all of us back into the house for nap time. Whew!

So here I sit. Both boys are actually sleeping at the same time. I haven't heard a peep from either of them in over an hour. The five loads of laundry I need to fold sit jumbled up in the living room waiting. The clean dishes rest right where I left them... in the dishwasher. And as for dinner, well the stove is broken anyway, so I'm not thinking about that! I am resting! I need this me time. It's nice. I don't feel guilty. I do feel greatfull.

Ahhhh...

2 comments:

Christina said...

I love me time too! They are rare but when they come they are lovely!

SunflowerMom said...

I got one thing to say about this post.... WORD! Hee, hee. Yep, mommy time is vital!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...