Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thinking it over

I don't know what brought it to mind, but today I was thinking about Charlie's 2 month Well Baby Exam. It was at this appointment where Charlie's doctor first suspected that Charlie had Down Syndrome. As I recalled the memory I found myself smiling about the words Dr. H said to me "Charlie has some of the signs of a baby with Down Syndrome." I can remember looking into Charlie's beautiful face in that moment with so much question. I was struck today with just how fondly I now think of that appointment, where originally I felt so confused and fear-filled.

Photobucket

Down Syndrome is an amazing gift. I really do believe that. I feel it every day. From time to time people tell me about a baby that was just born with Down Syndrome, or about a mom whose prenatal tests show her baby might have Down Syndrome. Before Charlie I would have reacted with concern, and while I do feel deeply for the parents as I have felt that original pain, I now smile to myself when I hear such news.

Photobucket

A few minutes ago Charlie and I were sitting on the living room floor together watching an episode of Thomas and Friends. He had his chubby little arm around my neck, excitedly repeating "choo-choo" as the little trains flashed by on the screen. I just can't think of any place I'd rather be.

1 comment:

mom2noah said...

Hi, it has been awhile since I visited your blog. Wanted to say how cute both your children are. I love all the pictures of Charlie's adventures. Congrats on his walking as well. Noah is just starting to stand and take assisted steps.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...