Sunday, November 2, 2008

Eating Simple

I don't consider myself a 'good' cook. I'm good at following instructions--which is how I learned to knit, sew, play the bass, and spin wool--so I'm able to whip up a scrumptious dish when I need to. For everyday eating, we have a pretty simple Menu.

To make it on to our family menu rotation, a recipe has to have ingredients that are easy to keep around on a regular basis. The ingredients need to be wholesome, and inexpensive. The recipe can't have too many crazy steps. It is less important how long something takes to cook, as it is how involved the cook needs to be. We love finding different ways to use our crock pot and dutch oven!

Anyway, I would love it if some of you who read my blog would share your favorite simple recipes with me. Here is a favorite of ours:

Mom's Spinach Lentil Soup:

1 onion
8 cups Chicken or Veggie Broth
1 pound Lentils (the brownish green kind)
2 packages frozen chopped spinach (fresh works well too, about 4 cups fresh chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheddar cheese

First I have to say I typed out these ingredients by heart. There are only six ingredients and 3 steps to the recipe. The ingredients are pretty cheep, and easy to keep around. A definite winner. (Thanks Mom!)

Saute the chopped up onion in the soup pot. Add the broth and and rinsed lentils. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. Add the spinach and spices. Let is cook for another ten minutes. Serve with shredded cheese on top. It is so good!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Here's a recipe for chili that I just tried the other day. You just throw everything in the crock pot and let it cook all day. It was a little too soupy for our taste, so we added one extra can of black and one extra can of kidney beans and it was perfect! I made cornbread muffins to go with it. Just copy and paste this link and it should take you directly to the recipe on the Family Fun site... http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50504

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...