Saturday, February 7, 2009

The IEP

Well, we did it. We had Charlie's first official IEP on Wednesday. It was inte-hense! But, we got through it. And, we got the placement we wanted for Charlie.

Starting February 23, Charlie will be going to a segregated Special Education school site on Monday and Tuesday from 9am-3pm. There he will receive intensive instruction geared to his individual needs. Then, on Wednesday and Friday he will go to a regular Center Based preschool, where he has been attending for the last year and a half. At the Children's Center Charlie will continue to be taught along side of his non-disabled peers. Thursdays I get to keep him!

The meeting itself went pretty well. Our fear was that we were going to be pushed to put Charlie in the special ed preschool full time. We were. We were pushed quite hard. One thing I learned is that it is important to know the language of the law. I had read the law, but in the meeting setting, I could not remember the exact terms. This got me laughed at by one of the "professionals" there. Next time, I'll just be that mom and bring the case law book with me. I will politely set it on the table, with all my dog eared pages, highlights, and sticky-notes. I've been told by others that if you bring the law book with you, the meeting will go much differently. I was feeling a little embarrassed to be so pretentious. Not so any more. I've learned I can be a momma with a little bit of fight in her. When it is for may baby, you bet!

Photobucket

2 comments:

aj said...

way to fight momma! Charlie is very blessed to be yours :)

Meredith said...

Sounds like a good set-up! Bria does something similar- 2 mornings at a 50/50 class where she gets therapy and 2 mornings in a typical kids' "mom's morning out" so it's not teaching academics but she's with her typical same-age peers. So far it's working great for her.

Bring the book- ignore the school folks :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...