Thursday, May 28, 2009

Moving Forward

Charlie is doing something new. It's pretty crazy.

First, Calvin does new things every week. Last week it was "E-I-E-I-O", this week it is "One-Two-Three-Go!". He is saying more words every week, and if he is not yet talking in full sentences, he IS understanding EVERYTHING we say. If I say, "Calvin, it is time to go," he is then waiting for me at the door. If I say, "Are you hungry for lunch," he is standing at his highchair ready to be fed. I can ask him to fetch things for me. I can ask him to come to me. I can ask him to stop doing something.

It's not just that. He is doing all this stuff too. He figured out how to work a buckle. Today he mastered assembling the train tracks. He appropriately plays with the many things in his environment. He climbs the ladder to the slide, manuevers his little legs over the top, and slides down all by himself. All this quick development... it's really wild.

Now Charlie. Things don't happen this way with Charlie. Development with my Charlie is a gentler process. It goes at a pace that, frankly, leaves a parent feeling less like life if passing by too quickly. I feel like I can breath between developmental steps. And, bringing a new step is a process. Almost a dance. A little work here, some practice here, now for for therapy, some play, some time away.

We push, we relax, we push some more. Then finally, out of the blue, a new skill, a new combination of words. A milestone.

So what is it, you might ask? What is the new thing Charlie is doing? He is doing puzzles. This is huge. He is able to match the piece to where it goes, then orient the piece to match how it should go in. He totally blew me away! I can't tell you how many months, make that years (okay, like 2 years), we've been working on puzzles. It is not just the act of doing the puzzle, though. It shows he is able to match pictures, and he is able to re-orient the image correctly.

Yes, he is my little smarty pants. I am incredibly proud.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

YAY Charlie!!! We are so proud of you too!

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. I love how you describe the developmental process with Charlie. Accomplishing puzzles is a great skill. Good for Charlie!!!

Lovin Mama said...

Such a great post and really what I needed to read this morning. Just feeling "stuck" and I was actually wondering about puzzles.
Hooray for Charlie!

SunflowerMom said...

Yay for Charlie and Calvin! Wonderful leaps for both of them. Putting puzzles together is fabulous!

datri said...

Awesome job! Especially on those puzzles! WTG Charlie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...