Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Potty Training Update

We are still plugging along. Spending a lot of time on the pot. Calvin is playing along, but not really doing anything. Charlie is very dedicated to sit on the potty, and is super excited when something happens. The last two days have not been too successful--he only went in the potty one time each day. But there has been other success, like his enthusiasm to learn this pottying thing, and his sense of accomplishment when he goes in the potty.

I feel less and less like I know what I am doing, and I wish I had a coach to help me along, tell me how to be more effective, encourage me when it seems like we are going nowhere fast.

My hope is that by the end of the break we will feel like we made some great headway to continue at school. It all feels a lot like when he was taking months and months and months to learn to walk, and I began to wonder if he would EVER do it. I think he will eventually get this, but it seems like such a mountain to climb.

4 comments:

datri said...

We're starting the day after Christmas. I thought about starting yesterday when Kayla started vacation, but I figured Christmas Day would be too hectic. I'm going to do the method suggested by the behaviorist at Kennedy Krieger -- underwear and put her on every 30 minutes. Personally, I think that will just annoy her, but we'll see how it goes!

They will get there eventually!!

Kelly said...

Eli really took off when we started wearing regular undies b/c he really did not like feeling the pee run down his legs:) (I did have times were it was just too much for me or we ran out of clean undies and I would put him in his diapers and then he would resort back to peeing in them)

keep it up, it will happen in its own time and don't stress it too much.

~kelly

Jodie said...

If it's any consolation, I did what you have been doing (taking the kids 6-10 times a day) for um... like 6 months before they really got it. I read books saying that this technique or that one would work in a weekend or a week - it was definitely a marathon for us, not a sprint. You're doing great, and one day they will just surprise you. :0)

Take care Kim!
Jodie

Brandie said...

Potty training has always been my least favorite parenting task. Since having Goldie, I've read a lot about Elimination Communication. I was suprised at how much I didn't know after pting 2 kids! Our bodies have certain reflexes that determine when we need to use the potty. Diaper Free Baby was the book I read. It was a little "out there" at times, but I just took from it what I thought we could use. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...