Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Buddy Walk, Uterine Fun, Back-to-School, Crazy Sum-Up

Well, at this point it may be too far past to share about our amazing Family Day out on a little farm in Southern Humboldt with new and old friends on Labor Day Weekend. The apple picking, the river, the barn, and home grown burgers.

And, perhaps a little too much time has elapsed to share about my thirtieth birthday party spent with our family. How I was honored at church not only for my birthday, but for the small ways in which I have served in the past (stepping back recently as I'm anticipating being a little bit busier!).

Oh, and Charlie started school, and though he loves it, he has been wiped out. Poor guy. So far he has managed to pick up a new virus about every other week. This most recent cough just lasts and lasts. Also, we are wondering if four full days in a row is too much, but we're going to wait it out a bit and see if things improve if he can stay well for a while. The big problem--besides him feeling run down with colds--is that he is really hard to live with when he is so worn out. I feel bad for him. He just can't keep it together during the week. Also, he is not napping on the bus as I had hoped he would. He has made some buddies on the bus and I hear plays peek-a-boo, and jokes and laughs the whole 1+ hour ride home. Anyway, that is what is happening with Big C.

Little C get's to do "home school" with mommy. He's 2. No need for academics yet. Not even close. But he has a 'need to be like brother'. So, we do a little "formal" home school time each day. He asks me to do it. So, we are doing little work books for two year olds, which focuses on tracing lines and doing simple mazes (think, fine motor skills building), identifying colors, following instructions, comparing pictures. We do that for about 5 minutes. Then we do a little project, write a letter to family, read a longer story (good "sitting still" practice), or go to the garden. I am hoping to very soon start taking a city bus ride to the town Library for story time. He would absolutely flip a lid for an opportunity to ride the bus.

Me, and the littlest Robinson continue to do well. I've had some uh, interesting days, with a uterus who is really eager to get things going. One day of many contractions, and a bit of worry. So glad to have super care with our home birth midwives who I can personally call and get sound advice. They helped me to get things calmed down with home treatment, and while I've had to watch it so as not to over-do things, that day so far seems to have been a fluke. I am resting tonight, though, because I am just achy. Achy and big, and at the very least I still have 4 weeks to go--9 at the most, and I'm thinking 'how am I going to do this?'.

I think the toughest part right now is child-wrangling. Calvin is very instruct-able. I can give him complex directions, and he will follow through. He has become a fairly well-trained child, I would say. Cheerful most of the time. I am so thankful. Charlie, well, I am beginning to see he understands way more than I was crediting him for, and we've got a lot of work ahead of us. In the mean-time, I am having a difficult time with caring for him in simple ways, like changing his diaper (he is a big guy!), helping him in and out of his car seat (he is getting better at this), or chasing after him when he decides to bolt (though, for a pregnant woman I think I can sprint pretty fast). I keep telling this baby he would be very welcome to come on the early side of normal, so please hang in there until 37 weeks, then by all means come. I need my body back.

Let's see. Almost caught up.

We had our Buddy Walk this weekend. Love the Buddy Walk. The kids had a fantastic time playing, and walking. You should have seen Charlie take off running with his daddy during the walk, high-stepping it and giggling the whole way. We got to visit with dear friends, and perhaps the most precious part was meeting a new little baby boy, red hair and all! He was the most darling little guy, just a year old (nearly), and such a blessing to meet. He has great parents who are Ray and I's age (So good to meet you M and T! Hope B's birthday is a super special day!). And wouldn't you know with all the excitement, I did not snap a single photo. Not that I could have shared it, with our computer memory issue and all (1GB seemed like sooooo much memory at the time we got this old machine).

Anyway, wow! It feels so good to blog this all out. And, despite the general lack of pics, we did manage to upload this silly family pic we took the other day. Here we are!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...