Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Did you ever have a friend?


Did you ever have a friend who  just "got" you?


Friendships are an investment in learning about one another.
 But maybe you are a complicated person. 
 
Friendships require understanding and compassion.
But maybe you need a lot of explaining.

Friendships may be built around shared interests.
But maybe your experience isn't typical.  


The best friendships help you to know that
you are not alone. 



Part 2:
These pictures are from our Buddy Walk last Saturday.  Pictured is Charlie and his BFF, "B", and also me and B's mom--one of my very best friends.  

Charlie and B... They both have developing friendships with classmates, which is valuable and wonderful and... can take a lot of mediation and energy to sustain.  You see, they have good days and bad days, these two--days where they are keeping it together like their 1st grade peers, and days where they roar like a dinosaur when they actually meant "hello" or "thanks for the present" or "please give me space".  But to each other?  No explanaition needed--they get that about each other.  They are each other's "safe" person whether their worlds are making sense or not.  Do we not all need a friend like this? 

 And B's mom?  Well... she's my safe person, too.  She rescues me with extra trash bags and wipes in the school parking lot (or at church) when things go south quickly, and she understands exactly what I mean when I say, "This is all so hard.  I don't know how I am doing this or how I will go on.  But I'm so glad for it.  I don't want anything else."

If there is one thing the Buddy Walk makes me feel every year it is Thankfulness, and the feeling that not only am I not alone, but I've gained a family I never knew I wanted to have.  All this Down syndrome stuff.  It's kind of a big deal.  

It's hard.  It's special.  Difficult and wonderful.  And it's all wrapped up together with a community of people on the same inspiring ride together.   It really is a blessing. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...