Saturday, October 26, 2013

On the sick bed.

I spent a good deal of the morning working on a knitting project and watching Toy Story with this sweet boy.  He's not feeling very well this weekend.


I can remember the way my parents took care of me when I was sick.

For my sister and I, being sick meant snuggling up on the couch.  It meant videos from the rental store.  It meant soup, and orange juice, and Mom or Dad all to yourself. 

For my kids, illness means being tucked into mom and dad's bed for the day.  It means books, netflix, naps, and lots of tea with honey.  It means everything stops--as much as we can make it stop--and quiet, close moments follow.

 As much as being sick is, you know, the worst, there is something about the ritual of care  during an illness that is at times a welcome pause.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...